About the BIO Center
Our skilled staff has experience in industrial, contract research, and academic laboratories. The center is closely aligned with the Institute for Advancing Medical Innovation (IAMI) and seeks to translate innovative research into new medical treatments and technologies. The BIO Center is part of the KU core research labs | Office of Research and works with researchers at the University of Kansas and experts around the world to transform new discoveries into products for patients.
A large portion of the center's research is conducted in partnership with the KU Cancer Center (KUCC), one of 67 NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the United States.
The BIO Center supports approximately 30 to 40 preformulation projects in a 12-month period. This often involves the identification of solubility and stability issues and developing aqueous based formulations suitable for the use in maximum tolerated dose and pharmacokinetic studies in mice or rats. As we progress into the formulation studies, we start with excipient compatibility studies and the generation of early prototype formulations. We have stability chambers that our compliant with ICH requirements plus more accelerated storage at 50⁰C and 60⁰C to test early compatibility variants.
The BIO Center provides services for internal and external academic investigators and commercial customers to establish and facilitate collaborations and to expand the scope of services the BIO Center can support.
- Physical / chemical characterization of drug candidates
- Compound solubilization
- Stability evaluation and enhancement
- Analytical and bioanalytical method development
- Animal pharmacokinetic studies, early stage pharmacology testing
- Formulation of dosing vehicles for animal studies
- Develop new and novel dosage forms for application in human clinical studies, i.e. pediatric dosage forms
Drug Development Specializations
- Preformulation and formulation
- Analytical chemistry
- Bioanalytical chemistry
- Pharmacokinetics and pharmacology